Sunday, July 20, 2008

Change of scenery

Well this past week was an interesting one for me. I ended up in this hospital on Thursday evening. After having been taken into the emergency room for something I thought was quite simple - only to end up admitted an hour later with plans for surgery the next morning.

So it completely ruined my plans to see Batman at the midnight release, which on Thursday was my biggest concern. But I was a bit tied up with lots of IV fluids and things to sneak out to see it.

It was the first time I've had to spend overnight in the hospital, and in the end I had to stay two nights, they only let me come home Saturday afternoon.

All in all I'd say it was a pretty stressful few days. There was talk of being sent to a larger hospital, of all sorts of complications, jokes made about what it could possibly be, and then there was the actual surgery, being put to sleep for the first time, having to spend the night alone in a hospital for the first time, getting no where near enough sleep, constant IVs, constant vital sign checks, and the uncomfortable hospital bed.

As they were wheeling me up from the ER to my room for the night, I took the time to text a few friends to let them know what had happened to me. Just the people I felt like should know, who wouldn't freak out horribly, but would be able to help calm me down a bit.

Irch was among those few people. He and I texted back and forth several times over these past few days, he even called me that first night to talk for a few minutes before I had to go so the tech could make sure I was still alive.

Somethings never change.

I felt better as soon as I talked to him for just a few minutes. It was just nice to be able to tell someone I was worried, and how bummed I was about missing Batman, and just do a little whining without feeling badly about it. I've always been able to do that with him, and I was glad he was there for me to do that again.

I'm home and on the mend now, armed with all sorts of pills and things to take over the next week. So I'll be completely 100% in a few days, I'm sure. And eventually I'll get around to seeing Batman.

1 comment:

oatmeal girl said...

"interesting"?!?!! well yes, i suppose that's one way you could describe it... i'm so very sorry there was no one there to be with you. and so very glad that Irch came through. very very glad.

not to mention extremely happy that you are home and all right. do look after yourself, whatever it was.

hug,
o.g.